Saturday, August 28, 2010

Part 3: The other fun happenings at night

Ramadan slows the day time. While I appreciate being here and getting to experience this very meaningful month with the locals, let it be known that I will definitely be out of town during Ramadan next year. The whole not eating or drinking in public is very difficult with the fiery sun we experience as soon as we step outside. I'm tired of sneaking water in the bathroom and not being able to buy coffee in the middle of the day. I'm very happy to have gotten here during the beginning of Ramadan this year and as a result, I appreciate Muslims a whole lot more. My hats off to them, they are a very dedicated people.

So due to our limitations in terms of daytime eating, we center most of our fun in the night time. Since I've come here it's very rare that I'm asleep before 2am. At midnight, I'm likely to be going around the Downtown area or hanging out at the mall. Stores are open at least until 1am and the streets are bursting with people at night.

So here's a synopsis of other things I've been up to:

*I experienced getting my eyebrows threaded for the first time. I now have eyebrows! haha, or rather very nicely shaped beautiful eyebrows. Eyebrow threading is a practice that originated in India where your eyebrows are shaped using only thread. It was kinda bothersome but the results were so worth it. I'll be going back in the next few weeks. If you've never seen this procedure done, youtube it. It's fun to watch. I also got a pedicure and chose the color Over Exposed in South Beach by OPI. So appropriate, right? :)
random picture samples
 


*Banana Royale happiness at Baskin Robbins (I can't believe I didn't have one back home, so good!)




The entrance to the Bazaar
*I saw the leaning building on the way to Al Ain.

Abayas Galore
*Went to the Bazaar at the Expo Center, The Bazaar was like a big indoor flea market with goods from around the world. I've never seen so many women it abayas congregated. It was really nice. I bought 2 colorful abayas (they have a different name that I can't think of right now) and two scarves. There was a guy dancing which was really entertaining to watch.

*I met two teachers from last year named Ashley and Steve who were great. We ate at Chamas which is a Brazilian Steakhouse. I knew exactly what to do because a my first steakhouse experience was back home as my last big treat (thanks Brett!) :) It was costly, but delicious.
The group at Chamas


*This past week we had an Iftar dinner buffet on a private yatch for 50 teachers. It was nice to see the city lit up at night from the gulf. The food was delicious. I was so stuffed, I didn't even have dessert (shock!)

*I finally had a beer (Stella's) at one of my hotel's bars. I also visited a popular expet bar called Hemmingways. It was full of people and I definitely liked the atmosphere. There's a huge disproportion of men to women everywhere! ;)  It's lots of fun to watch.

And now I'm off for some pool side relaxation. Yesterday I caught a bus to Dubai with Michelle. That will be my blog for later.

Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment