Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Happy One Month Anniversary!

Due to major internet issues the past few weeks and just general distress that comes with moving, I've been MIA. My intent is to continue blogging my adventure and letting everyone know what I'm up to now that I have reliable internet. Actually making phone calls to friends is still an issue because my skype isn't cooperating yet and I've had little time in my apartment with reliable internet to figure things out.


That being said, I am doing quite well. There's still so much that I need to get used to. Just today I figured out how to reach my school that I need to report to tomorrow. As of yesterday I had no way of getting there. Today, the lack of street addresses lead to getting lost in a taxi cab for over an hour. What amazes me most so far is the way that things have a way of coming together. For today I will focus on what I'm feeling for the real start of my life here in Abu Dhabi. I will back track and catch everyone up on what I was up to these last few weeks. Some of the happenings involve blowing up my stove, going to Dubai again, a mini breakdown at a car rental place..I look back and smile because everyday seems to be an emotional rollercoaster. Things come at you last minute and as a result my tolerance just keeps building and I'm becoming a much more flexible person.

So in terms of my school placement, I am prepared for the worst. First and foremost, I will be teaching at an all boys school in a city called Baniyas. Baniyas has a bad reputation amongst the locals, especially Baniyas boys. It wasn't until a couple of days ago while attending an LT party at someones house that I didn't know anything about my school. The girl I spoke to actually got transferred out of my school because of how horrible it was. She was bit and her friend had things stolen from the classroom. She tried to encourage me and tell me that things might be much better now because there's more support than when they came in. In fact, they knew that new teachers came in February and completed the school year. They supposedly had a better time...

Today I actually met these teachers and not only were they very nice but 2 of them live in my building. I am riding with them and my lead teacher that lives around the corner to school tomorrow. Things work out as they should. They told me that in fact the school did not have resources and that the boys were tough. They survived though, it gives me hope. I feel like these girls will be a great source of support and that I won't feel isolated. Our administration does not speak English. Communication will be difficult. Luckily this year, they have created a position of lead teacher whose sole job is to support the English teachers in the school. Want to know the most curious thing? My lead teacher was part of the Miami Dade Public School system for 25 years. It's such a small world. The bastards in MDCPS did not approve her leave after 25 years, I made a great decision to leave.

Right now it's nearly midnight and I need to go to sleep. I am feeling anxious but mostly excited to find out what awaits me. Whatever the results are, I know one thing for sure, I am going to become a much better teacher after this experience.

Good luck to me!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure that everything will be wonderful, and I'm very proud of you! Enjoy your first day and know that I miss you very much :)

    Besos,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're being positive about all this. I know I wouldn't have the strength for all the things you're putting up with. We all decide our future, and if you choose to be happy about anything, good things will always come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this post and realized that I wrote max instead of Matt. ::hits head::

    ReplyDelete