Thursday, August 19, 2010

I want some gold bars!

So Wednesday we were free to roam because our police clearance wasn't until 10pm. The day before we were subjected to blood tests and a chest xray. It made me wonder if the US has these practices in place. I hope so. The UAE is checking for major communicable diseases (like HIV, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis) and particular for this region- pregnancy (I mentioned it in the last post). In the morning I started feeling like I had an upset stomach. I figured it was because I had eaten way too many different foods for a short period of time and to top it all off I had eaten way too much of it. Turns out I just have a case of traveler's diarrhea. :'(  I know that's in the TMI category but if you're reading this blog chances are that you're really into TMI. lol. jk.

I went with a girl named Michelle, who happens to be pretty awesome, to the Marina Mall to grab some food. After the mall we decided that it would be a great idea to visit the Emirates Palace which I was told had two free museums. I like free a lot so off we went. We took a taxi and luckily the EP is visible from our hotel.
Entrance to the Emirates Palace - forgot to take a pic, stock photo

The Emirates Palace is the second most expensive hotel ever built.  Our cab driver was a bit confused and tried to take us to the back of the hotel but a security guard stopped us and told us to explain to the cab driver that he couldn't. Of course the cab driver barely spoke English so we were back to hand gesturing U turn. We finally got in the lobby and a worker opened the door for us. We asked where the museums were and were directed towards the back. The best word to describe what we saw was pure opulence. I was told that within the Emirates Palace they have a gold dispensing atm. I didn't see this atm but a quick google search showed it. If we go back next week with the teacher group I'll make sure to look for it. I wonder how much a tiny gold bar costs. hmmm...

(I can hear the first call to prayer in the background- this is a bad bad sign)
so pretty!

A shot using the panoramic view on my camera which doesn't look quite right uploaded

Model of Guggenheim Musuem
The first exhibit that we visited focused on Cultural District of Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi. This project is going to include the building of a branch of the Lourve, Guggenheim Museum and a Maritime Museum. This is definitely something that will someday bring me back to Abu Dhabi. A quick Wikipedia search says that the completed project will cost 27 billion dollars.


The models looked amazing. The Maritime museum showed a walkway through the ocean. I'm sure this completed project will look amazing.

Inside the Emirates Palace
The next exhibit we saw was a textiles exhibit that consisted of the most beautiful embroidery I've ever seen. Unfortunately, cameras weren't allowed. I'll search for some pictures online.

The next day Thursday I viewed my new apartment and slept all afternoon (which is why I'm still up at 5:13am). I posted previously how awesome my new apartment is. After waking from my peaceful slumber I met up with a girl named Cassandra that is also living in Abu Dhabi. I shopped for some food, got some immodium at the pharmacy and ate some Sbarro. I came back to the hotel and decided to catch up on my blog. Now I think I'm just going to stay up until 6am and catch Cassandra and her group at the gym in an hour.
Model of The Lourve

I'm off to brew some coffee and put on my gym clothes.

Inshallah, my hours reverse before Sunday when our school orientation starts.

1 comment:

  1. This hotel is just magnificent. Emirates Palace Hotel is an enchanting landmark that's a wonder to behold for all who venture through its magnificent gates.


    property shop

    ReplyDelete