Monday, August 9, 2010

So long, so long, so long...and thanks for all the fish!

So after hours of obsessing I received my eticket last week. It's all very bittersweet. On one hand I am beyond excited to start a new life half way around the world and then I start thinking about my friends, family and my boyfriend that I'm leaving behind and get sad. I saw my first bf today, talk about blast from the past. He seemed happy and we spoke for a long time. I'm very happy he's doing well and as a result of my absence in the country, we might actually establish somewhat of a friendship. I sure hope so.

My flight for AD is set for Friday the 13th. Great day, huh? I fly out of MIA at 3:45 to a connecting flight in Chicago. It's a two hour layover and then a direct flight to Abu Dhabi, UAE. The flight to AD is 13 hours and 55 minutes. Ouch. I hope I sleep through most of the flight. I'm assuming I'll probably have some major jet lag for a while. I've never experienced having to adapt my body schedule so quickly. We'll see how it goes.

On Friday I had my farewell party at Bougainvilleas, which happens to be my favorite bar in Miami. More people showed up than I expected and I really enjoyed myself. Beforehand my best friends and I had jello shots. Yum. I love jello shots. Anyways, I was very touched to see that people came out to say goodbye and hope to see everyone that came out in the future. It's interesting how life turns out. That bar alone and it's discovery is quite a tale.


The day prior to my farewell party I had dinner with the fourth grade teachers I used to teach with at Cheesecake Factory. I felt very loved. I've been truly blessed with meeting such wonderful people throughout my teaching career. Cheesecake factory was delicious as always.

I'm praying tomorrow for a beach day. Today I sent off my containers to my friends place and only have to finish packing my bags (and get the correct weights) and download a VPN. Everything is going by so fast! Before you know it I'll be half way around the world. I'm becoming an emotional mess. I'm already picturing a dramatic airport scene. I hate crying but it's going to be the inevitable.

Now I'll leave you with the image that first comes into my mind when I think of Miami. Every time I see this skyline I know I'm coming home. I'll really miss it because this after all is my hometown and where I've built the last 23 years of my life. I wonder where this new adventure will lead me...I hope amazing places.


PS. For today I used random Internet photos. I will be uploading my own photos in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You finally got your ticket.. awesome. Don't worry, 13 is a lucky number ;)

    The day of the flight you will be an emotional mess - very sad yet very excited. Getting used to life abroad (especially in a place that different) will take a lot of getting used to. I didn't get used to Spain until a year and a half had passed. The first few weeks or months will be wonderful, you'll think its amazing. Slowly but surely the culture shock will settle in and you'll begin to hate it and start comparing it to your country, thinking how certain things are better and whatnot. Its the most difficult phase, and who knows how long it'll last.. but it WILL be over one day. One day you will be able to live comfortably, no matter what you feel like in those dreadful days. Things always get better.

    I tell you this because you'll be alone and might need someone there to pick you up when everything seems like its crashing down on you. I know if I didn't have Matt here to open my eyes for me, I would've left back to the US after the first 3 months. Be strong, be open minded, and know that what goes down WILL come up, ok?

    PS. Buy one of those neck pillows. You'll need one for the flight. Maybe some HP reading material to make the hours fly by too. Also, eat as much junk food as you can before you leave (every single flavor of chips). It'll be the first thing (and the most) that you'll miss about your country. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the bright side, every day in the UAE is a beach day from what I hear.

    I hope you have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete